Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Path Least Travelled

I have to say from what I have seen that anyone that does extensive traveling for their work can have a difficult time building and maintaining any type of strong relationship.

 What do I mean by this? Let me break it down this way.

Everyone travels different paths (ideals) in life on what their destination is going to be. Now the majority of people are on the main road.

 What I consider the main road is having that significant other with you most of the time. There are times you might be joined at the hip. You see each other every day for hours on end and do everything together.

 Next you have those that branch off and have a little 'alone, or me time'. You have some common interests but you also have a few of your own. You might go out individually once a week or so.

Following these are your people that only see each other a few times a week. They are fairly independent but enjoy being in each others company on occasion.

 Last, you have those that are blazing their own trail through the dense underbrush. Those of us that are gone for 2-3 weeks at a time in order to make a living. The time spent communicating, and the time spent together is meant to be a special time.

 I know I am one of those that's blazing his own trail. The problem that I run across is finding that 'other half' that would compliment and complete me. It seems that the vast majority of people I talk to fall into the first two categories.

 I'll admit its getting harder to find people in the category where they only see each other a few times a week if that. The main thing I'm trying to figure out, is whether or not if this is a general shift in society, where everyone wants everything closer to them, vs allowing their partner to be a little more independent.

 Am I too far off in this observation?

No comments:

Post a Comment