Well today she decided she wanted to use it so she could can some pickles. The problem was that we couldn't get the blades to lock in.
So I took it apart and not finding anything that looked like it was out of place, put it back together and still couldn't get it to work.
I then went to my laptop and started a search for this old dinosaur. The problem was that I could pull up all sorts of different models and types of shredders but nothing on this one.
After looking around I finally found a few pictures of one and was able to look at the gearing mechanism inside where you lock in the blades.
I saw that the one we had didn't match the way it looked in the picture. It took me more than a few minutes after tearing it back down to realize that one piece was 'out of time'. What I mean by that was there was more than one way this piece could go in, but only one right way.
It took me a few minutes of messing around with it to figure out how it should go in and finally put it back together. Now we have a working shredder that Jennifer will be able to use instead of it just taking up space in the cabinet lol.