Friday, July 12, 2013

Time to go home....

Well everyone I know it has been a few days since I have posted on here.  There have been a few things going on in my neck of the woods.

First off, I think its time to hang it up with driving over the road and go home.  There are a few reasons for this.

The first one is the cost of expenses.  I just went and did a comparison of what I was spending two years ago compared to today and it really scared me.  My expenses, eating, laundry etc out here have seemed to have increased drastically.  We are not talking a few dollars here.  We are talking about an increase of over 30-40 percent!  That is huge!  I'm sure if everyone went and did some research they would notice that prices have been steadily creeping up for the last two years.

The second one is the affect I am seeing with the new HOS rules for driving.  Right now the companies have re arranged the load times and deliveries to the point I am getting 4-500 miles less than what I normally do per week.  That adds up real quick in lost revenue.  Also, revenue has not been increased for us in quite a while.

So it simply boils down to the fact that you can only slice the revenue pie so many times.  Without an increase in revenue, an increase in expenses, it is getting harder to make a decent living out here.

The next thing is that I would like to be back on the farm more than once every 3 weeks or so.  Since Dad passed away there are way too many things out there that need to be taken care of.  My brother and I simply can't get to everything doing it 'long distance', meaning a weekend here or there.

There is a small chance that I can pick up on a local LEO position so I hope I haven't jinked it by talking about it!  That would work out great if I can pick it up.

So I am hoping to hang up the truck drivers hat, but take back down my duty belt and get back to work.  I'm praying it happens.

2 comments:

  1. I wish you nothing but the best in whatever decision you make. As for the increased in costs and lack of pay I can only agree with you. With inflation at 3% a year compounded over the last five years and with pay stagnant our bottom lines have taken a hit.

    Once again good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, I hear what your saying there.

      Delete