Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The ScanGaugeKR my thoughts on it

I have recently purchased Kevin Rutherford's ScanGaugeKR to put in my truck and help me with my fuel mileage.

Installation was extremely easy, all you have to do really is once you figure out where you want it, plug the cable into the diagnostic plug on the truck and your off.

This device reads all of the sensor data that is sent to your ECM on your truck.  There is a pretty straightforward way to pull the codes for all of your sensors, send them in, and the company that makes this gets back with you in a day or so with the codes to be able to program your ScanGauge to show the values on those sensors.

For example I don't have a boost gauge on my truck, but with this device I can now monitor it and a myriad of other gauges or sensors I couldn't before.  Also as new and more refined programming for it is made, it is not a hard process to upgrade it with the latest stuff.

Kevin found and refined this product to help drivers improve their fuel mileage, pure and simple, and so far I can tell I am going to get back a whole lot more on my investment.

It is said that the difference between a very good driver and a bad driver is 35% on fuel mileage.  What that means is that for example a bad driver has a 6 mpg average, a very good driver should have 8.1 mpg.  That is a staggering 2.1 mpg difference which is a huge savings in fuel cost.

I thought I was a pretty good driver.  Heck, I've been out here since '93 so I should know the ropes right?  After putting this gauge on I quickly discovered I wasn't driving my truck even remotely close to its fuel savings potential.

The first thing I discovered is that the Cruise Control is NOT your friend.  It's fine on the nice flat ground but in the gentle rolling hills, that thing is a FUEL HOG!!!!  I shutter to think how much fuel I wasted by setting that cruise and letting the truck run.  Yeah, its easy, and lazy to do it that way but very inefficient.  By taking a proactive approach in driving in the hills, lightly accelerating on the downhill and build speed, let momentum take you up, then just ease into the throttle, no more than 2/3 keeping the boost under half of its total load, saves fuel.  Yes you might have to grab an extra gear a time or two but the fuel savings I am seeing will be huge.

Another thing that eats the fuel are those wonderful 'Jake Brakes' or engine compression brakes.  What do you mean?  Aren't you using the engine to slow the truck down with those?  Yes you are, but when they are fully on it was kicking my boost up over 2/3 to 3/4 of the max, which means more boost burns more fuel.

I'll admit, I was being lazy leaving the Jakes on to slow the truck down for just basic items, not just for long downhills.  I quickly discovered how much I think that was costing me too.

I know there is an old truckers adage out there, 'use your Jake Brakes to save your brake shoes so they last longer.'  The problem with this is that your costing yourself quite a bit more in fuel than the simple and relatively cheap cost to replace those brake shoes.  I'm willing to bet there is no comparison in the numbers on how much you are really losing.

Kevin advertises that you should be able to see a 3/10 of a mile change within the first week of really trying to improve your driving with this device, and by the end of the month you should see close to 5/10 of a mile change.  If not, he will buy it back no questions asked.

But do you know what Kevin?  Your not ever getting mine back.... ever lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment