Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Construction Season....

I have to say at times it seems like there are only two seasons for a truck driver, winter, and construction season.

Now don't get me wrong, I know that our roads and bridges need to be maintained....but....

Yes you knew there was going to be a but in there.  My biggest 'pet peeve' is when a state, oh such as Ohio sets up LONG construction zones which really hinder traffic flow.  The thing is, you really can't tell what the hell they are doing to improve the road to be honest.  They had 5, yes 5 in a 200 mile stretch.  Now that doesn't sound like much, but when these zones can stretch for 10 miles per zone, it adds up quick.

I mean heck, between rush hour in Chicago and all of the construction zones that were on I80, I averaged 54.5 miles per hour.  The problem is that I had my cruise set on 68.  Now I know you can't average the speed you set your cruise on, but a 13.5 mile difference??  Normally it is a 5-8 mile difference when you average it out.  That's how bad the construction zone season is looking this year.  If you have any time critical loads, (which I do) you have to totally readjust your trip planning.  That's all fine and dandy, but if the companies glorious Load Planners don't do the same, drivers are going to get really screwed over on their times.

Back to my pet peeve, I think there should only be ONE major construction zone every 100 miles, and they can't start another until the project is finished.  Oh the state has a lot of projects?  Well lets put this neat little thing called a 'timetable' on these zones and penalize the hell out of the companies that can't deliver on time.  It's a simple matter of economics, reward those that finish on time or ahead of schedule and body slam those that drag their feet on projects.  Those of us that use the roads are paying for this stuff, literally, through various taxes, lets see some actual progress boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment